Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Marking his territory

This move has been somewhat difficult for my children. There has been so much going on and they're just caught in the middle of it all.

A week and a half before we moved, we ran out of oil to heat our house. We were almost packed so we finished up, packed some suitcases and spent 2 nights at a friends house, then a week at my in-laws house.

While we were at our friends house, the flu found us. Nathan and Aria started throwing up. A lot. It was bad for a day, but they continued to throw up once a day for almost a week. After we got to the in-laws, I got the flu, followed immediately by a cold.

So for over a week, we sat around sick in places that weren't home, lived out of suitcases, watched TV and played video games.

The video games kept Nathan sane I think. We have a game system that he plays regularly and he made a comment that it was following us while we "moved all over the world."

Finally we got the call that we could sign the papers on our new house. Then the fun began. Our rental truck was not there so I started making phone calls. Somehow I managed to find an available truck for that night. I also got permission to move into our house before it closed, so we packed (in the pouring rain) and left around 9:30 PM. Five hours later, we arrived at my sisters (the clack house) and tried to sleep a bit. We got up the next morning, signed the papers and drove the truck to the new house to unload.

Since it was 1PM on a Tuesday and everyone was at work, we didn't have a lot of help. Four retired gentlemen from our new ward were kind enough to lend a hand. Aria kept them in line. One man sat down, our of breath and sweating profusely, and Aria pointed to him and said "that guy isn't helping!" After a good laugh and a large glass of water, he went back to work. Really, I was very grateful for them. We had 4 old guys, Dave (who is diabetic and his blood sugar went low during the unpacking), a friend who just had knee surgery and couldn't do much and my brother-in-law. The only able bodied male in the house. Between them and me and my mom (we took turns unpacking and holding the baby) we got it done in about 2 hours. As soon as it was done Dave left and drove back to where we came from so he could finish working at his old job. Leaving me with 3 kids, a house full of boxes and my mom. Thank goodness for her or I'd probably still be sitting in a house full of boxes.

The next day I noticed something odd. We have 3 toilets and 2 bathtubs in our house. Each one had yellow puddles in and around them. All I can figure is Nathan decided he'd had enough of moving all over the world and was placing his mark on our final destination. This is his territory and he's staying put.

Fortunately, he hasn't done it since. lol

3 comments:

Lee said...

ROFL! My little man tries to clean the toilet while he is going potty.. he thinks he can clean it all the time.

Anonymous said...

I am sure glad that it hasnt happend since. That is to funny.

emlouisa said...

rofl about marking his territory! Glad you are all moved!