Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Keeping myself honest

I made a goal this year. I've noticed when I make a goal and keep it to myself, it's less likely to be accomplished. But if I get up and say "Dave, I'm going to fold that mountain of clean laundry and put it away today", it will usually get done.

So, my goal is to read the entire standard works by December 31st. I'm currently in Genesis. lol. But now that I've admitted my goal, hopefully I will hold myself accountable.

Speaking of Genesis, there are some weird stories in there. I slept through seminary and have spent most of my married years in primary (therefore missing studying the OT in Sunday School) and while it's not exactly "new" to me. I've never really read it and thought about it myself.

So, Laban's a jerk. Laban as in Rachel and Leah's dad, Jacob's Father-in-law. Patriarch of some serious dysfunction. Jacob offers to work for him for seven years so he can marry Rachel and Laban tricks him into marrying Leah. So, he works another seven years and gets to marry Rachel. In the meantime Leah is having babies for him to try and make him love her more, but it's not working too well. Once he marries Rachel and she's barren, Rachel makes him marry her handmaiden so she can pretend like she's giving him sons or something. Then Leah gets all ticked and makes him marry her handmaiden.

So, here's Jacob, with four hormonal women, all trying to win his favor by popping out the most kids, all the while he's working another six years for Laban in order to get cattle and goats and stuff. (Count it, that's 20 years for the old dude)

So Laban stiffs Jacob on the cow payment and Jacob decides to take his wives and kids and run away. (they also stole some idols from Laban...I don't get that part)

Laban goes after Jacob and when he catches up to him gets all ticked off and tries to claim all Jacob's household as his own. Wives, kids, cattle....Laban thinks it's all his and Jacob apparently worked for 20 years for nothing.

See? Jerk.

Wonder what I'll read today....

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

You are better than me! I get so lost in the Old testament that I just give up. I love your summary! Can I use that when I teach my Sunday School class next week?

Misty said...

rofl. sure!

Pamela said...

Wow, I wish I could come over ans study with. Good Job!

Meemer said...

I'm missing out on the old testament this year. it is my favorite because it can get really wacky! I loved your synopsis!