Wednesday, May 05, 2010

"the choice" ch-13

"in which I become newly wed"

It was the longest 10 minutes of my life. I sat staring at the front doors willing him to walk through them. My dress was on my lap and my mom was sitting next to me. I kept looking at my watch and I nervously spun my ring on my finger. I was sure something had happened. Every situation from a diabetic coma to a car accident to leaving me at the alter ran through my head. I was just thinking about finding a phone when I saw his friend from BYU and about 10 feet behind him was Dave looking oh-so-handsome in his tux with the slight zoot suit feel to it. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and my perma-grin was reattached to my face.

We entered the temple together and then went our separate ways to get ready. I felt like a princess in the brides room and I was so excited about my dress. It was soft satin with an empire waist with simple pearl beading around the waist and down the zipper on the back. It had a chiffon overlay on the slightly a-line skirt that had a short train. It had a square neck and the sleeves were satin to my elbow where the pearl beading attached long chiffon sleeves that went to the floor. Kind of...modern renaissance.

He was waiting for me in a small room where we sat together and held hands until our guests were seated. We then went into the sealing room and sat down together. As I was sitting there looking around the room and feeling grateful for all the family that had come I suddenly saw my Grandpa Harvey in my minds eye. (he died when I was a child) He was standing in front of me and he was proud of me and wished he could hug me. His daughter, my Aunt, who died on her mission, was with him. I was overwhelmed by all the love in the room.

The ceremony was simple and beautiful. The Sealer gave us advise before hand to attend the temple often and to not let possessions or "stuff" overwhelm our lives. When it was over we met up with everyone outside the temple. It was a gorgeous day for January. Blue skies, sunshine and probably nearly 60. Nobody had coats on. We took pictures, had a lunch at the stake center and then everyone took off.

Our reception was the next night in my home town and it was everything I had hoped for. Simple, elegant and zero foof. Here we were, 7 weeks from our first date, dancing together as a married couple.

And I wouldn't trade a single moment of it.

No comments: