Wednesday, May 05, 2010

"the choice" ch-12

"in which somebody's feet drop in temperature"

The next few weeks were a whirlwind of preparation and fun. I went back to the lady that had started sewing my wedding dress months ago to see if she could finish in just a few weeks. She said since she had already begun that it should be fine.

There were many, many phone calls and plans. I wanted a white on white wedding with accents of silver. I really wanted to transform the church gym as much as possible. I told anybody that was even remotely involved that there must be ZERO FOOF. I wanted clean, flowy, delicate lines throughout. Not foofy bouquets or bows. No themes of any sort, just simple and beautiful.

We found a rental place for the drapes, linens and lights for under the tables. We got icicle lights to surround it the gym with long white drapes and strips of tulle. I picked out silver ribbon for accents and silver floating rose candles for centerpieces. I picked out a daisy circle instead of a veil, much to the horror of my proper little 6 year old cousin. Girls who get married are SUPPOSED to wear veils after all! My Aunt's sister in law agreed to do the simple flowers I wanted and my Grandma agreed to do the catering. My dad built a backdrop frame for the "line" area, a friend agreed to do the temple pictures and we found a photographer for the reception. We got the cake ordered, the music arranged and I booked our wedding night at Snoqualmie Lodge.

The main hurdle was the invitations. The time constraint and cost made it so we didn't want to get them professionally made. So we bought cardstock, designed them ourselves and printed them at Dave's office. In the end they were pretty ghetto but I didn't care. People just throw them away anyway. lol

In the meantime Dave and I saw each other every day. He was rarely far from his guitar and I started hearing the hilarious songs he had written. He would sometimes play that song from "The Wedding Singer" too. The one about growing old together. I loved it! He started teaching me some guitar. We went to church together, went to the temple together, read the scriptures together, went on dates and stayed up late talking. He met Matt and Matt left for the MTC. We would often marvel at the Heavenly orchestration that got us in the same place at the same time.

About a week before the wedding Dave became very distant. He was still going to work and seeing me after work but he wasn't talking like before. He wasn't joking and laughing and playing music. Something was different and he wouldn't talk to me about it. I was terrified that he had changed his mind. My visions of the future were slipping through my fingers. But he didn't say anything. His college roommate/friend flew up from BYU as planned and I got a hotel room near the temple with my mom and sisters the night before the wedding. We stayed up late, giggling and laughing and just enjoying each other. We needed to be at the temple at 9:30 AM so I got up early (who am I kidding? I didn't sleep at all, I was too excited), my sister did my hair, and my cousin did my makeup.

I went to the temple with my mom and we sat in the lobby to wait for Dave. All the while in the back of my mind was that nagging little fear about his state of mind for the last few days.

He was late.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Late? Late! Late? He was late????