Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Books, books, books

I have got to stop reading.

No, seriously.

In just the last week I read three books and my house is destroyed, my kids have watched too many movies and played too many video games and I'm not getting enough sleep because I stay up to read.

I really love to read. A lot. A good book and a hot bath, a good book and a big comfy chair by a window or a good book and a cup of hot cocoa (organic cocoa and rice milk) are some of my favorite ways to pass time. I carry whatever I'm currently reading with me in my purse and snatch a few minutes here and there whenever I can. Sitting down to nurse Gabe is a great excuse to read too.

The books I read can be divided into two catagories. Fluff books and thinking books.

Fluff books are usually novels. Reading a good LDS romance or humor novel (good story, a little corny, but no language or sex scenes to worry about) is one of my favorite ways to wind down. Other books that fall in this catagory are teen literature. Harry Potter, The Traveling Pants books, and others like those. Usually the teen lit is easy on the language and sex scenes too, which I prefer. I can usually blow through a fluff book in a matter of hours.

Thinking books are 2 different kinds of books for me. They can also be novels, but they're deeper. I read them a bit slower and take time to think about what I'm reading. Novels that fall into this catagory are ones like "The Giver," "Memoirs of a Geisha" or "The Da Vinci Code." The other kind of thinking books are non-fiction and usually LDS. I enjoy studying the deeper doctrines of the church. Some of my favorites are "The Peacegiver," "Eve and the Choice Made in Eden," and "Life Everlasting."

So last week I read three books. One fluff book that I didn't really like ("In Her Shoes") and two thinking books that I very much liked. ("Memoirs of a Geisha" and "The Da Vinci Code.")

But now I need to take a break. I need to finish cleaning the house (my wonderful husband cleaned the kitchen and started the laundry before work this morning!!!!) and I need to focus on my kids. Guess where I'm taking them after lunch today?

The library.

5 comments:

~V~ said...

Oh my gosh, I feel ya! I LOVE LOVE to read! But when I get the right book, my life goes to heck!

But ya know...it's worth it! ;)

Rachelle said...

Ah books. I love books. I love several you mentioned. And I am the same kind of reader you are. My house gets destroyed too, but so worth it sometimes. Books. Drool.

Heather said...

Oh I am the same way! I haven't read a book in months though. Because when I get started, I can't stop! I know that if I have a book in the house that I have not read, everything and everyone will get ignored until I have finished it. So I stopped getting them.


But I did ask for a Deseret Book certificate for my Birthday! lol

Kermit~the~Frog said...

I notice nothing when I'm really reading. Fozzie says that early in our marriage he tried nudity to distract me from reading, but I didn't even notice. Awesome.

emlouisa said...

I LOVE to read! I am finding though that my reading time has become blogging time. Boo. I need to fix that!