Monday, April 13, 2009

Seattle

Although I lived in the Seattle area for 8 years, I really didn't go downtown all that often. In fact I still havn't seen the Fremont Troll even though I keep meaning to. Maybe next time!

I decided to take the kids over to Seattle after we went to Leavenworth. Dave had to come home and work and I wasn't really looking forward to being stuck at home with all the kids for a week of no school so I planned this little trip. A week or 2 before, I found out my good friend, Kristi, would be home alone all spring break so I invited her. She was able to fly in on Tuesday and hung out with us for the rest of the week. It was nice to have a helping hand and a friend along to talk to!

So, the kids and I drove along hwy 2 from Leavenworth and I decided those little hidden away highways are the best! Dave and I drove hwy 1 down the coast for our honeymoon and it was beautiful. Hwy 2 didn't disappoint either. The mountains and rivers and trees and quaint little towns...it was stunning!

We got into town and had dinner and Family Home Evening with Dave's mom then headed to my friends RV where we spent the nights. After that we had something planned every day!

We started in Seattle on Tuesday. I'd been promising the kids a trip to the space needle for a while so we went there first.


Gabe loved the elevator to the top. I tried to get a picture of him with his face pressed against the glass as we shot up, but it was too crowded.

The view was great, though, and the kids loved going around and looking in all the telescopes.




After getting off the elevator right into the gift shop and rushing the kids through in order to keep them from breaking everything in there, we had lunch at the Seattle Center and discussed what we'd do next. I gave the kids a choice. Walk down to the water front and go to the aquarium or go to the children's museum right there inside the Seattle Center.

They chose the walk.

I kinda steered us wrong, though. I went in the right general direction, but I could have gone a much straighter path. I also completely forgot that the monorail existed.

The first hour of walking wasn't so bad. I was enjoying myself and it was a very nice day!

We saw some fun things.

Eyeballs...


Pretty views...


Daffodils in garbage cans...(I loved this! I want to do it at my house.)


The boys loved the ship wheels. Aria, on the other hand, loved nothing at this point. She was miserable from all the walking.


Finally we made it to the aquarium. Only to find out it was closed.

Oh, the tears.

Luckily, by this point we remembered that the monorail existed. We took the elevators up to the top of Pike's market, visited the gold pig, and walked to the mall to meet the monorail.


On the monorail.






We made it back to the RV for a good night sleep and headed to Portland the next day...

2 comments:

The Mac Attack said...

Did you know that the pigs name is Rachel? I have a t-shirt with it on it. How cheesy am I?

Linda said...

It sounds like you had a fun filled day. Walking is good for you:) lol. Do you remember ALL the times we took you kids to Seattle for little vacations?