Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Time flies when you're having fun!

9 years ago this morning I was sitting in the Seattle temple waiting for Dave to show up so we could get hitched. It was such a beautiful day, not like this icky, freezing cold winter we're having this year. The sun was even shining, and if you know Seattle winters, you know that's not normal!

So, yesterday, I was looking for something (anything!) to get for Dave for our anniversary. We're not huge on gifts, but I wanted to find something. I finally stumbled across the perfect gift. On sale for $5 no less. (don't mock! He always steals my nail clippers off my key ring. And these are manly! There's a knife!) So I wrote him a note on his iphone and gave him the knife/clipper/flashlight thingy. Romantic, eh?

I also bought myself a lovely new coat from him to wear to dinner tonight. :)

Anyway, I got to thinking about anniversary gifts and remembered the first 2 he ever gave me. Since we got married only 7 weeks after we met, we didn't have a lot of anniversaries to celebrate til after we got married.

So Dave decided he'd buy me a gift for each month-iversary after we were married. His plan was to buy the number of things of which month it was.

Dave loooves surprises (I hate them, but he didn't know that yet) and so month 1 he was all "I got you something, but you have to find it." So, I start looking. We lived in this little apartment, with very little to fill it with, so there weren't that many places to look, but I was having serious issues finding whatever the gift was. He was just following me around smirking. Finally he was all, let's go out to eat (or something...I don't remember why we were leaving) and we went out to the car. He proceeded to walk around it slowly with this goofy expression and I, being clueless, and having entirely given up on finding the mysterious month-iversary gift, was just getting in the car and wondering why he was acting weird (remember...we hadn't known each other long...for all I knew, this was normal.)

He then started dropping some heavy clues to get me to realize I was still supposed to be looking for my gift.

And there it was...on the back of the car. 9 years and 2 cars later...I still have it. (please excuse the dirt. I don't believe in washing cars)



Month 2 he took pity on me and made my 2 silver candlesticks easy to find.



Month 3, he hid 3 brightly colored pillows in the bathtub and month 4 was another search all over month only to finally have him inform me that he put 4 new hubcaps on the car. (I don't notice things about cars apparently).

And that was the end of month-iversary gift giving.

I'm often accused of being not fun to buy things for because I don't show the appropriate amount of enthusiasm. Perhaps if I was a little more...cheerleadery...those month-iversaries would have lasted longer. Alas...I'll never know.

But happy 9 years to us! I love you, Dave!

10 comments:

moxie mama said...

monthiversaries. that's funny. i didn't know he did that. or maybe i forgot? nine years i a long time.

happy annivegaversary! even tho you're not going to vegas...it's just funner to say like that.

and don't worry we'll keep getting you gifts, even though you really are very calm no matter how much you love it....i've decided the calmer you are, the more you like the gift. so i take you calmness and jumping up and down screaming:)

moxie mama said...

man i didn't proofread that before i hit enter...you can prolly figure it out tho:)

Jon and Maryanne said...

Happy anniversary!!! It was a beautiful day!!!!

Lee said...

Love it! You two are so cute, and we want to go on a trip with you two again. Congrats on 9 years!!! And I love your new header.

Alissa said...

i believe he now owes you 108 of something.

The Mac Attack said...

Happy Anniversary! You better have fun at dinner tonight. You look amazing in your new skinny jeans, and your coat.

Lara said...

Happy anniversary!

I've never even noticed your plate before. Cool.

Hope you have fun tonight.

Caroline said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember the license plate holder!!!

Linda said...

How cute af David to do the month things. Maybe he should let Sean know. Rach would LOVE it. LOL. I'm glad you had a nice evening:)

Carrie Snider said...

That is sweet! You got a great guy. :)