Monday, February 02, 2009

Playing by ear

If you've heard the story of how Dave and I met, then you know that him and his roommate had a bet going to see who could kiss me first. (I know, I know). So after institute choir (I was the pianist) his roommate came up and started talking to me. Dave, however, sat down and started playing "Waterfall" on the piano in an attempt to impress me. I was duly impressed and turned my attention to him.

It wasn't until quite a bit later that I found out it was one of maybe 5 songs that he could play. He plays the piano entirely by ear. Can't read music at all. He just listens to what he wants to learn over and over until he can play it.

It's actually pretty amazing to watch him learn a song that way.

Anyway...apparently, my kids have picked up that little talent. All of them (well, not Clara yet) can pick out little songs (Doe A Deer, Mary Had a Little Lamb, Row, Row, Row Your Boat). Nathan especially likes to figure out video game songs. He can play the little tune from Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Mario. Gabe heard him play Mario often enough that he picked it out on the little toy piano. With a little help from Dave, he managed to learn it on the regular piano and it's so dang cute!

See?

5 comments:

Linda said...

Gabe was playing that when I walked in your house Saturday morning. It was very nice. He played it over and over for me. Then Nathan came and played it too. Then they started playing it on other things like a little piano, the kitchen chair etc. It's impressive:)

Caroline said...

So dang impressive. Very cute! Awesome actually.

Tamlynn said...

That is awesome!

Carrie Snider said...

Wow, he's so young! Great job little guy! One of my piano students is that way. She listened to a song on YouTube the other day, then played it for me. I'm jealous of the "playing by ear" people! I'm a slave to sheet music.

Lara said...

That is a cool talent! Gabe played mario for me yesterday at my house. He was so proud of himself!