Sunday, May 28, 2006

Sunday Soapbox

Hey, they still start with same letter.

Short and sweet today, because I'm tired.

I just got a part time night job at an assisted living center as a care giver. It's really my first time being around elderly people who can't fully care for themselves and I'm sad. Some of them are alone in there. They have family, the family just doesn't come. Why? I don't get it. In a perfect world, it would just be the circle of life. These sweet old ladies and gentlemen cared for their children for years and years. The children should be returning the favor. I realize some of them require full time care, but some of the families don't even visit! Ever.

So, if any of you have a relative in an assisted living center, go visit.

That's all.

7 comments:

lackrik said...

LOL!

I did that with a TV dinner once for dh. He never even noticed. lol

Elozia Marie said...

AMEN. Working at my ALC broke my heart to see how disregarded some residents were by their families. Most of them just wanted a chance to talk and tell their stories, someone to hold their hand and listen. Human touch meant so much to them, and it saddened me that I was the one smiling at their stories, while their families didn't realise what they were missing. I always wished my job could be to just meet their emotional needs, instead of having to run as soon as the call button was pushed. There are some amazing people in ALCs ... they just need someone to care.

You'll be a wonderful assistant.

Jenn said...

How sad! You always hear about that (like it's a running joke on The Simpsons and things like that), but I didn't think people really did that. :0(

Lee said...

That is so sad. I remember when my Grandpa had to go in an assited living place, I went to see him all of the time. Thanks for the reminder!

Rachau said...

Misty thats why i love my job i have,I work in admin at an old poeples home.And i visit the ones who do not have family.It is a blessing we can work with them as they are so nice.I am so happy for you enjoy it.

Lei said...

Hope the new job is going well!!! you are a trooper to take on such a responsibility!

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»