Saturday, May 20, 2006

Soapbox Saturday

My last post got me thinking about this again so it's my soapbox for today.

Body image. Specifically for women.

I hate hate hate that we live in a society where the "perfect" body is shoved down our throats constantly.

I hate that it's totally fine for JLo (or half the teens in the country) to wear next to nothing (remember her see-through dress? Or the one cut to her belly button?) but discreet breastfeeding in public is not only "gross" but a woman can be kicked out of a public place and even sited with breaking the law for doing it!

I hate that my gorgeous friends and family members don't realize how stunning they are.

I hate that women see the body changes that come from pregnancy and child birth as scars and not badges of honor!

I have three children. I've seen the things they pick up. Too often we assume that they're too little to understand. Don't make that mistake! Your daughters are watching you. They will internalize and mimic the things they see from you. Please don't put yourself down! Especially in your childs presence.

Do not teach your daughter that she is anything less than her perfect self by commenting on what you believe are your own imperfections. Because, guess what? She thinks you're beautiful.

Do not teach your son that women should be anything but revered and respected by not respecting yourself. He loves you and thinks you're perfect just the way you are.

DO NOT buy into the "model" image that you see in magazines. If you find yourself thinking that magazine photos are real, bookmark this site. Go there now. GO! (I know some of you don't click links...click that one!) Scroll over her picture with your mouse. If that doesn't convince you that they're fake then I don't know what will.

Now, don't go thinking "sure...she can say all this, she just lost 90 lbs," because I thought I was hot in the first picture too. It's not uncommon for me to just announce to whoever's around (usually it's my husband) that I think I'm hot. I distinctly remember saying it on both of the days those pictures in the post below this were taken.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take care of yourself. I always feel my best when I get dressed (I'm usually a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl) and do my hair right when I get up. (as opposed to lounging in my jammies...not uncommon for a stay home mom of three). I keep a low maintenance hair style on purpose. I buy clothes that are flattering to my build and I try to look nice. Because when I feel good about myself, it's easier to stand tall and announce how "hawt" I am!

But I don't worry about the little things. I don't wear much make-up (usually just powder and mascara), and I don't obsess over my "imperfections." I'm proud of my body and it's ability to safely deliver three beautiful children, regardless of the badges of honor it left behind in the form of stretchmarks and bagginess. I like my crooked smile and it's okay that my eyes are set too far back to use an eyelash curler because I got them from my dad and he's the best.

One of My Online Friends (MOFs) says something that I often think of when I hear someone worrying about those "last 5 lbs" or wanting to surgically "enhance" anything on their body. I share it with you now and you have to promise to internalize it!

All of you need to remember to STAND IN YOUR MAJESTY like the QUEEN that you are!

Do not allow anyone, especially yourself, to push you down. You are beautiful and talented and each and every one of you is a child of God and He doesn't make mistakes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

good soap box but im still mad at you for not taking a picture of all 3 of us .................... jk you know luv ya

Anonymous said...

wow that site is crazy everyone look at it

Andrea said...

Very true. Did anyone else think it was funny to roll the mouse over the bikini chick and watch her boobs deflate? lol

Lee said...

What a great post. Something I need to remember. I hate how much the media has effected ME. I hate how often I feel bad about the way I look.. thanks for a great reminder.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.