Friday, June 02, 2006

Our poor kids!

I overheard a conversation between two mothers at swimming lessons today. They were discussing the various activities that their pre-school aged children were involved in.

Obviously, they're in swim lessons (5 days a week for at least 2 weeks, but they were both at the last session and are planning on the next, so that's daily for at least 6 weeks). During the conversation I also heard mention of Kindermusik, park days, dance classes, more swimming and Art Fest. (remember, these kids aren't even in school yet!) Last week a little girl came to swimming lessons in a baseball uniform and left in a dance leotard.

What are we doing to our kids?

What ever happened to just playing? Using their imagination and creativity and just being kids? We've got them so over scheduled and over worked at such a young age! Why are we pushing them to do everything?

Is it because we think we can do everything? Well you can't. And neither can your kids. I vowed today to just let my kids be kids. We're doing swimming lessons for their own safety (everyone should know how to swim) but other than that, nothin'.

Aria wants to take "Vallerina" classes in the fall and I'll probably let her since Nathan will be in school and I'm not starting her in pre-school yet. Sports will come when they're a bit older and can understand them more. Music lessons of some sort are necessary, in my opinion, but not until they're ready to commit to them and they have the finger dexterity and/or breath capacity to succeed.

You want your kids to learn everything? Take them to the library. That's what books are for. When they find something they're passionate about, then shell out the cash for lessons, but keep it simple. Let them set their own pace and you just step back and encourage them.

Stop breaking both of your backs in this misguided attempt to create a race of super-humans that can "do it all."

4 comments:

Lee said...

It's true, the kids are being rushed every direction anymore.. I can't afford it!!

Anonymous said...

so, Friday Soapbox too now?? LOL. ONly kidding. I agree wholeheartedly with you. We make many trips to the library. And yeah, we go to the park. But right now, my kids' fav thing is just running in the sprinkler outside and playing with their kitchen set. I love it. And I'm not going broke because of it.

Misty said...

lol, I figured this was enough soapboxing for the weekend. It just came up on friday. :)

Stacy said...

I so agree! We have swim lessons and preschool. That's it! And Chris wanted to teach them swimming on his own... nope. They're in lessons.