Wednesday, July 16, 2008

LOOK at what I did!!!

I am not domestic. Not only do I not enjoy all those domestic things (cooking, cleaning, sewing, crafting, etc) but I'm usually quite bad at them.

I think my dad said it best. He was visiting this last weekend and walked in and saw a sewing machine (that I borrowed from a friend) on my kitchen table. He looked at one of my kids and said "What's that? A sewing machine? In your mom's kitchen? What's going on here????"

Seriously, me busting out a sewing machine is like the twilight zone.

But...sometimes you want something that isn't found at the average store and you don't want to pay the extra money plus shipping to get it online somewhere. (Etsy comes to mind, which I adore, but didn't want to go there for this item).

So instead...I contact an online friend who made one for her daughter. I really wanted one and she was amazingly kind enough to take pictures as she made one for a gift and send me the pictures (I'm very visual) and the instructions.

And VOILA! I made a skirt for Clara. With a sewing machine. From fabric. Bought at a fabric store (a place where I'm normally quite lost...in fact a lady asked me a question about quilting while I was there and when I gave her a blank stare and said I knew nothing about anything quilting, she moved on, lol.)

Aren't you amazed? You really, really should be. It was even kinda fun. I might make more. (Ignore all the stuff that makes it obvious that I've never sewn a skirt before. Tulle is hard to sew. Just be amazed.)

10 comments:

Tamlynn said...

Its beautiful! WTG! Yes, tulle is hard to sew, but you did great. Love the color combinations, its totally you.

Conlin Family said...

Great job Misty! I also stay away from sewing machines because I have no clue what I'm doing..so if you are anything like me that really is amazing! Watch out you may have people asking you to make them one too!

moxie mama said...

ooo i AM amazed! it's going to look so cute on clara!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yay! It turned out so cute! I'm so glad you could figure out the instructions okay. The fabric and ribbon you chose is so sweet for Clara. Nice job.

McP Family said...

Misty, I think you did a magnificant job!!! I sympathize with you100%
Nice work

The Mac Attack said...

So cool. I love it and Im proud of you. And I do want one. Good luck with the Bread Baking!

Heidi said...

It's beautiful! I don't sew either...or cook or clean or bake bread....even though I like the *idea* of sewing...that usually ends in me starting a project which my mom has to finish. lol Good work on following through! It turned out great.

Linda said...

I am impressed Misty! Good job!I;m sure Clara will ove wearing it and I can't wait to see a picture of her in it.

Kristi said...

We are two peas in a pod, you and me, lol. I'm so impressed! I want to learn to sew so I can save money by making my own bolsters for massage.

Sorensen said...

Hey Misty,
Very domestic it looks great! Congrats on the beautiful baby also! Long time no see!