Thursday, July 24, 2008

Grandma Jean

This is my Grandma Jean with my sisters, my mom and I.



She passed away only 2 months after that picture was taken. I was pregnant with Gabe, so in 2005.

I don't remember crying at her funeral. I don't remember crying about it anytime since then. I don't cry a lot.

But tonight I was rearranging Aria's room so Clara can move into it and I cleared out the storage space under her bed. It was full of blankets. One of them was this one.



Aria was so excited to see it. She says it's her favorite blanket and that she was wondering where it had gone. Grandma gave me that before she died. (mom, did she make it? I can't remember). Anyway...it's mostly been in storage since I got it so when I took it out tonight and held it up to my face I could still smell Grandma's house.

And finally...I cried. Then I looked at the pictures from the funeral and cried some more.

I love you, Grandma.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

((hugs)) And that is a beautiful blanket! What a great heirloom to have from her.

moxie mama said...

oh to smell grandma's house again:) or even to see it. it makes me so sad to drive by it because it looks like a normal house. if i ever get rich i will buy it and paint it pink again with blue trim and plant giant flower bushes and put out a yellow bridge! You made me tear up, i wish jovie jean could have met her namesake...she really did r.o.c.k.!

Linda said...

I too am crying. We all loved her and miss her. She was one of a kind wasn't she? I don't know id she made the blanket or not Misty. I'm happy to know that Aria calls her Grandma like she knew her well.

Tamlynn said...

((more hugs)) Grandmas do have a smell don't they? :) I really wish my grandma Betty could have known my kids.

The Buck's said...

It is so hard losing grandmas...especially when it is unexpected. I still miss my grandma Millie like she died yesterday...even more now that I have kids and she is missing it. I didn't get to go to her funeral because I was on bedrest (2003), but mom is finally taking me to Billings in September to visit the grave. I expect that there will be some tears then. I have a blanket too, a Christmas one, that smells like her rose soap. It is in a plastic baggie in a tupperware so that I can "preserve" the smell as long as possible. Sorry for the long comment, but I know just how you feel!

Company EIGHT said...

((hugs)) from me too. It's wonderful that we have things to remind us of those that we love. We always have our memories, but sometimes it's nice to see or hold something tangible.

Conlin Family said...

I think everyone that has ever met your grandma remembers her. She was an amazing lady and I always remember her sitting on the front row in the chapel at church every Sunday. She was so faithful. =)

Sharon said...

Your Grandma was one awesome lady. Betsy Smith used to call her an "angel in the rough". I thought that was so appropriate for her; she was always thinking of others but also didn't hesitate to speak her mind and I loved that about her. Crying is good for you, Misty.