Thursday, November 23, 2006

Traditions

Move over Thanksgiving, we've created a new holiday.

Every married couple that lives somewhat near both families is faced with a dilemma each year when the holidays roll around. Who do we visit? How long do we stay? When can we see the other family?

Our solution?

Christmathanks.

I informed my husband early in our marriage, that due to my aversion to cooking and cleaning, he should never expect me to cook a Thanksgiving dinner.

7 years later, I still havn't. We went to Utah one year, we went to Boston another year (I was 8 1/2 months pregnant for that one). I think we spent one with his family and one with mine...and then we had a brilliant idea.

We combined Christmas and Thanksgiving for my side of the family. We all meet at my parents house on Christmathanks Eve and stay up talking half the night. We set presents under the newly decorated Christmas tree, stuff each other's stockings (we don't expect Santa to show up...he's busy getting ready for Christmas) and get up early to open gifts. Mom (who loves to cook, much to my husbands relief...at least he gets occasional good meals) makes a big breakfast with Cinnamon rolls (that rival Cinnabon), muffins (shaped like roses), fresh fruit, homemade donuts, etc. We relax and enjoy each others company, then we have a late Thanksgiving dinner with Turkey and all the trimmings.

This way, we can visit Dave's family a few days before Christmas and be home for Christmas day.

We're making a slight change for Christmathanks 2007, though. No more Turkey dinner. Now before you gasp in disbelief, hear me out. Growing up we had a Christmas tradition of a Fondue dinner on Christmas Eve and then we'd eat leftovers and take and bake pizzas on Christmas day. We don't all come home for Christmas Eve fondue anymore, so my sister had the brilliant idea to just replace Thanksgiving dinner with Fondue. I can't wait til next year!

Thanksgiving, it's been nice knowin' ya...but you are officially phased out. Well, ok...we'll still teach the kids about the Pilgrims and we'll still remember to be Thankful. And when the wild Turkeys come look at us through the windows (Seriously. I took a picture, I'll post it when we get home), we'll just wave and they can live another year knowing that we're busy feasting on Beef, Chicken, Shimp, Crab, (we need to add Lobster), bread in cheese dips and a chocolate fountain for the fruit. And pie. I really don't think that portion of Thanksgiving dinner will ever go away.

And I will be able to hold to my guns and not cook a Thanksgiving dinner ever.

Christmathanks is the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love our phaseing out of thankgiving. Christmathanks is the best holiday invented ever. Just waite until we all have kids and they dont even really know what thanksgiving is! Its gonna be awesome theyre gonna be so confused at why there friends dont get stocking and presents on thanksgiving like they do!!! Its awesome!

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest thing that I have ever heard of. It would really relieve a lot of stress when it came to Kevin's family!