Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Business of Being Born - A review

So Dave and I braved the snowstorm and went downtown for the documentary last night. Overall, I loved it. But, being a birth junkie, I figured I would love it. Dave thought it was a bit overly sensational, speaking to a woman's emotions and not addressing the facts clearly enough for him. (however, I do have all sorts of fact sheets to show him now.)

After the movie, there was a panel Q&A session. The panel included local professionals. An OB, a Pediatrician, a Midwife, a Doula and a new mom who had experienced both an in hospital birth complete with epidural and a fully natural home birth.

The movie, being a movie about birth, obviously showed several births. If you've never witnessed a home birth, I would recommend you see the movie for that reason alone. Seeing an unmedicated birth in a calm environment is amazing and empowering. The movie had opinions by many of the top midwives and OBs in the world and I thought it presented the facts clearly. It did have a bias towards midwife attended births, but that was kinda the whole point since we are inundated with images of medicated hospital births and c-sections from the mass media.

Some interesting facts that were presented...

1. In every other country in the world that has 400,000+ births, 80% of the births are attended by midwives, with 20% being only high risk births attended by OBs. The US stands alone as the only country where 99% of the births are attended by OBs in a hospital setting.

2. Of those same countries, the US has more infant and maternal deaths than any other country.

3. C-section rates are up 50% in the last 10 years, with the national rate being around 32% (1 in 3) of all births being c-sections.

4. It has been proven (and admitted as such by the OBs interviewed in the film) that birth interventions, including induction with pit, use of epidurals and admitting a laboring mother too early (3 cms or less) have greatly increased the c-section rate. One OB said that when looking at a chart of the data, you see peaks in "emergency" c-sections at 4PM and 10PM daily. 4PM being the Dr's that want to be home for dinner and 10PM being the Dr's that want to go home to bed.

5. When comparing midwife attended births (which are always normal, low risk births) to normal, low risk hospital births (high risk births are not included in these studies), home births are just as safe and sometimes safer than hospital births.

6. Back in the early 1900's a smear campaign went out against midwives that has perpetuated the notion to this day that midwives are low class, uneducated, anti-conformists that don't have the mothers best interest at heart. When birth moved to a hospital setting during those years, the midwives weren't allowed to go with it, which caused the division that exists today. In all those other countries mentioned before, midwives work with the OBs in the hospitals.

7. Pitocin is synthetic. It makes a woman's contractions, harder, longer, closer together and much more painful. An epidural will remove the pain for the woman, but what about the baby, who is also feeling the effects of those much more difficult contractions?

The movie did have opinions from a couple of OB's who were very against midwifery care of any sort. The interesting thing was, though, that they had never witnessed a homebirth, never bothered to look into a midwives certification process. One OB didn't even know that midwives carry lifesaving measures with them and are trained to use them. (things like oxygen and pitocin for bleeding). How can you speak so strongly against something that you havn't bothered to learn anything about?

While I very much enjoyed the film, I think my favorite part was the discussion panel at the end. I was quite impressed by the OB they had brought in. He was clear that he thought hospital births were the safest way to deliver, but he was fair in his assessments. He said that while he, personally, respects what midwives offer and would love to have a Certified Nurse Midwife in his practice, it's not up to him. He has to follow the rules and regulations of the hospital, plus there must be an agreement between all the practicing OBs at the hospital. He feels that bringing midwifery care into the mainstream is still a long way off.

I was also interested in information on VBAC's (vaginal birth after a c-section). At the hospital he practices at (Holy Family, for you locals), they are pro-VBAC. The reason they can be is because it's hospital policy for the on-call OB to sleep at the hospital when he/she is on call. Since they're already there, they can be there for the laboring mother who is attempting a VBAC. At many other hospitals (including the other main two local hospitals), the on-call Dr sleeps at home and just responds to his/her pager. They are more likely to not be VBAC friendly in that type of environment because the Dr has the promise of home and a warm bed to return to if he/she is able to just perform a c-section and go. This Dr said it's a lifestyle choice that each Dr makes when choosing a hospital to practice with.

The panel pretty much agreed that where to birth is a choice for each mother to make, and I agree. But I did leave with the feeling that somehow pregnant women should become more informed of what their own body is capable of. They should be armed with information of everything from side effects of interventions, to what a doula is and how one could help. (if you're wondering, a doula is a labor support person who stays with the laboring mother and is her physical and mental support and her advocate for her choices). I think that fear needs to stop being a tool used by Drs and nurses to bend a mothers will to their schedules. I believe that information is the first step to bringing midwives back into the birthing world.

I loved one statement that the midwife on the panel made. "The best epidural you'll ever have is a caring doula or loved one and an attentive midwife."

6 comments:

Alissa said...

personally: my favorite birth was the birth of my son, in the hospital with a midwife.

for whatever reason, i do not feel comfortable with the idea of delivering at home... and i have really uncomplicated easy births... it's just not for me.

so the hospital birth with a mw is perfect for me. the one on one care i love and the security of knowing... just in case.

Smelly Moose said...

Very informative Misty! Thanks for taking the time to do that...I learned a lot. Definatly going to have to find a dr. that's pro-vbac, because I am NEVER EVER EVER having another c-section and I wasn't aware that there were drs who were pro and against vbacs. I have to say though...for ME, the best epidural is one that takes the pain away so I feel virtually nothing :) Maybe one of these days I'll have to do it the natural way though...or maybe not... I really admire those who choose to do it natural though! Good luck and congrats on your girl!!

The Buck's said...

Maybe I just had a very unique birth experience at SH, but I wouldn't have changed it for anything! My labor nurse was with me the whole time (even though her shift ended 45 minutes before he was born. You know I totally respect what you are doing this time around and your choices...and I am glad that you are open minded enough to respect mine :-) With Matthew at 9lbs 1 oz...and getting stuck...I can't imagine having to go through to the final week. The best thing about Dr. B was that he told me what my options were at that point and respected that I stuck with it and pushed that little monster out (with a little help!).
Sorry I couldn't go with you...Kristin wouldn't have been speaking to me if I had missed her birthday :)
Can you believe all of this snow?

Misty said...

Don't get me wrong! I definitely think the most important outcome of any birth is a healthy baby and a healthy mama. I'm happy they did all they could to avoid a c-section for you, Trace, especially being a high risk birth. I personally believe that without the interventions Matthew wouldn't have gotten stuck and wouldn't have needed a vacuum birth, but there's no way to go back in time to find out and all that matters now is that he's such an awesome kid. ;)

And, for the record, I'm not saying that everyone should have home births or that they should even be pushed. I am saying that midwives, both CNM's and CPM's, and the midwife standard of care, should be allowed in all hospitals and they should be able to have a working and trusting relationship with OB's.

The Buck's said...

I completely agree that women should be given the choice to have their midwives present at a hospital birth! You are an awesome woman and I am so proud of you for your strong beliefs! That is what makes you an amazing friend and a mom! :) I know if it ever came down to it and you had to make a decision for me and my baby...you would make the right one! I've got nothing but love for ya babe! :)

Have fun with the kids today with no school!

Kandace Welch said...

Misty, I could not agree with you anymore more. I believe in everything midwives stand for. I also understand that medical help is necessary in some situations as my daughter was breech with the cord wrapped around her neck and would have sufficated if I had gone into labor. But I am definitely going for VBAC this time. Glad to see other people believe the same 'crazy' stuff I do!