Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Slacker mom of the year award goes to me!

Valentines day is not my favorite holiday. It's last in a long line of way more fun celebrations. (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, my wedding anniversay plus several birthdays among those). By the time Valentines day gets here, I'm burnt out. I don't want to write another card, I'm sick of buying candy to hand out, and it annoys me that the price of flowers gets jacked up every year at this time.

So today was Nathan's pre-school valentines day party. You know how it goes, everyone makes a little envelope and then each child brings valentines to school to share with each member of their class. Check out what Nathan brought home!













There's the fancy grab bag. Little candies, a card and a pencil...













There's the lovely handmade valentine, stuffed with candy and completed with some nice ribbon from the $1 spot at Target.















There's the mom that's willing to spend a little more money for the "candy in a card" variety.















There's the homemade printouts (note the personalization from the child who made it on the left hand side). And of course, a conversation heart for good measure.













And there's me. $1.99 at Big Lots. The extent of my help was handing Nathan the list of his classmates names. He wrote their name and his name, fold and go. Ta-da! Slacker mom in all her glory!












Not only do I slack there, but all my good intentions go unrealized. I bought this heart shaped box last valentines day. I had this great plan to fill it with personalized little notes from me and the kids and give it to my mom so each day she could pull out a note. A year later, I still have the box and I didn't make a single note. (It's the thought that counts, right mom?)

As for Dave...we'll probably watch American Idol and hope the kids go to bed early. Happy Valentines Day, sweetie!

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

Happy V-day in spite of being a slacker. ;) I love the box idea btw!

ShelahBooksIt said...

love the pictures. too funny!

smart mama said...

gold star for GOOD intentions!

Unknown said...

love the valentine pics! And atleast you used your cards, Adele's are in a box on the china cabinet.

Stacy said...

At least you didn't lose your kids' friends v-day cards!

lackrik said...

Hey! Just think! You always have NEXT year to use that box. lol ;)

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Right there with you. Everyone in Scooter's class had store-bought cards to give out, but some of them made baggies of candies to go with them. Not me! We did the "hand him the list and let him get after it" method, too. I like it.

Anonymous said...

I love the box and the idea. Thank you! I also love that you share your kids with me and papa J ALL year not just on Valentines. They bring such joy in our life!!! I love them !!! You too of course!