Wednesday, June 03, 2009

One of many reasons that I claim domestic ignorance



I made Dutch Babies the other day and while they were cooking I got to thinking about the first time I ever made them for my husband. We hadn't been married long and it was a meal I couldn't mess up.

Or so I thought.

It's pretty simple. Melt some butter in the baking dish and add eggs, milk and flour and bake.

I thought I'd be pretty impressive because it's simple but delicious!

But, no. Not me. There's a final step.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar after it bakes.

I pulled it out and grabbed the white powder and sprinkled it on.

Dave took the first bite.

"Does this have salt in it?"

"It calls for it, but I didn't put any in." (I don't like salt and use it as little as possible)

"huh. It's pretty salty."

By this time I was confused. It wasn't supposed to be salty. It was supposed to be sweet and delicious! I took my first bite.

*gag*

What did I DO?

I think Dave was the one that finally figured it out because I didn't know what I did wrong. I went through the ingredients with him and he went and checked the kitchen. It wasn't hard because I don't clean up after myself while I cook.

He came back holding...

Baking Powder.

I had sprinkled Baking Powder all over my delicious Dutch Babies and ruined them!

In my defense, I did get one word right. Powder. Just the wrong sort.

Luckily, I learn quickly and I havn't messed them up since then. They're a favorite around here now.

(I'm really only including this picture because I like my syrup bottle...we do homemade syrup...)

6 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Cute story. Homemade syrup recipe, please!

Misty said...

1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, bring to a boil. Add 1 tblsp maple extract. Sometimes I do 3/4 maple 1/4 vanilla. Reduce heat simmer for a couple minutes then let it cool. It thickens a bit, but not a lot. It's super yummy warm, but just as good out of the fridge.

EternaLeppert said...

We love those, but in the Leppert family (strong German heritage) they're called German Pancakes. The first time I had them was right after George and I were married and he made them for me. Soooo tasty! Good job on perfecting the recipe!

Linda said...

LOL, I've had a few of those cooking stories:)

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

we call it German Pancake too. And when I was newly married and had all my staples in the new clear canisters we got for our wedding I made chocolate chp cookies one night and when hubby took a bite he gagged and knew instantly that I must have accidentally used the salt canister instead of the white sugar canister. From then on, salt was never in a canister. Who puts salt in a canister anyway?

Jon and Maryanne said...

Those are yummy! I remember having them for the first time when you lived in Renton.