Monday, September 04, 2006

Musings of a Moving-on (and Melodramatic) Mother

Tonight was the last night of my life as I've known it for the last 5 years and 2 1/2 months. I've been a mom of babies, a mom of toddlers and pre-schoolers, but tonight I tucked in my pre-schooler for the last time.

Tonight for Family Home Evening he received his first "beginning of the school year Fathers Blessing." Tonight in his bedtime prayers he prayed to "do good in school." Yes, it's official. I am the Mom of a Kindergartner.

Everything is about to change. Homework, PTG (Apparently it's not PTA anymore), routines, carpools, volunteering, book orders...the list goes on and on.

Every day I'll be dropping my baby off at the big school. Pre-school is one thing. Everyone there is 4 and under. But Kindergarteners? They go to school with every age up to 11! He's going to encounter all those things that we don't want our kids to have to deal with. Bullies, peer pressure, hurt feelings, making and losing friends...

But he's going to learn lessons that I couldn't teach him on my own. He's going to learn to stand up for himself and others, to be kind, to deal with dissapointment and to work well with others. He's going to grow up. And I can't stop it.

I'm a whole bundle of nerves and excitement. I don't even know what to feel. He's going to do great and it's going to be fine but it's a big milestone for us!

So, wish me luck. Tomorrow I drop my baby off at school for the very first time.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh wow!! That will be ME next year! Make it stop!! I'm not ready for this growing up stuff yet!

Anonymous said...

Huge milestone. He will do great. How are you holding up though?

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh, that's me on Thursday. I'm just going to bawl my eyes out. But you just wrote everything I was thinking for my baby that's going to start kindergarten. I hope I handle it as well as you.

Emmers said...

AAHHHH That made me cry. I'm gonna be a wreck. GOOD LUCK! I'd tell you to eat chocolate, but that's not an option, huh..dang ;)

Misty said...

Oh no...Chocolate is okay. And I've been eating it! lol.