Friday, May 08, 2009

Primary...

I think I mentioned before that I have an eternal calling of anything related to music.

My callings for the last 12 years have been...

~Ward Chorister
~RS Pianist
~Primary Pianist
~Fill in Organist when the Real organist had hand surgery. (She taught me how to cheat on the organ. I still don't actually know how to play the thing.)
~Institute choir pianist
~Primary Pianist
~Choir Pianist/Co-organist
~Choir director
~Primary Pianist/Organ sub
~Ward music chairperson/chorister
~Choir director
~Co-organist

Don't get me wrong, I've loved my callings. Not only are they easy, but I have such a testimony of music within the church and in our homes for praise, worship, teaching, even prayer. Nothing brings the spirit close like music.

But then a few weeks ago I got a call from one of the counselors in the Bishopric asking to meet with me. I knew it was going to be a calling and had a hunch that maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't be one of the music ones.

Sure enough, I was asked to teach the 4-5 year olds in Primary. But to please still keep my calling as co-organist. lol.

So, after a few weeks, I'm loving my new calling! The kids are rambunctious, but so sweet. In those moments that I can get them engaged, I'm amazed at what they know and understand. And the rest of the time, it's just fun. I do the Sesame Street thing where I try and change it up every 5 minutes or so to keep them interested and it's working pretty well!

I have a sock puppet friend that comes to class with me, we play games, we sing songs and I tell stories.

But this last week I really caught their attention. Class was nearing the end and the kids were getting rowdy. I thought of that song "I Have Two Little Hands". It's all about folding your hands quietly and being reverent, right? I started singing it and realized I had no idea what the words were. All I could think of were the words to John Bytheway's parody. So, I sang that instead.

"I have 5 little fingers on one little hand. I have 6 on the other, I don't understand. During all the long hours til daylight is through. There is nothing at all for one finger to do!"

Uh...you should have seen it. They all stopped. They all thought. They all were like...what did you just sing? So I sang it again. And then they laughed and laughed.

Then I taught it to them.

Wonder what their parents think.

3 comments:

Alissa said...

i taught the CTR 5s once. if i had to teach primary, this would be the age i could handle.

"I have two little hands folded snugly and tight. They are tiny and meek yet they know what is right. During all the long hours till daylight is through, there is plenty indeed for my two hands to do."

Washington Hills said...

Sounds like a good teacher to me!

Kandace Welch said...

hillarious, I love the new version of the song. :)