Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In honor of my sixth anniversary

My anniversary was actually a few days ago, but that's okay. I'm going to share with you my husband's version of our courtship. (I stole it from a gaming message board that he posts on). My additions to his story are bolded.

my wife's name is Misty Dawn and she unfortunately hates today's video games (she will play anything up until super nintendo with me) in her mind 2 buttons (A and B) were perfect 6 buttons (A, B, X, Y, R, L) were tolerable and anything with triggers or more controls than that is a silly waste of time.
that's all true.

Misty Dawn? Is that really her name? Yes.
Does she have a sister named April Sunshine? Yes.
Are her parents hippies or something? Yes. no, they're not.

okay enough with the self interview.

our story began one week before i met misty. i was singing in an institute choir and overheard the instructor talk about a new piano player that had just been called to play the music for us. she had been a traveling photographer and recently quit her job so that she could take on a church calling. oh yeah that was one of those evesdrop sessions that brought a good warm feeling. one of the first questions i would always ask on a first date out at college was do you play the piano? and if the answer was "no" there was rarely a second date. so i instantly knew that she was second date material. it's not that i have anything against non-piano playing women, however, i just don't like them is all.

the following week i showed up casually late to choir practice and checked out the back of the person sitting on the piano bench and i knew instantly that she would be my wife. than she turned around and looked at me giving the late arrivals (me and my roommate) an annoyed look and i was still pretty certain she was the one. then i noticed a ring on her left ring finger while she played the music and was now down to about a 50/50 chance.

so my roommate leaned over to me and said hey that new piano player is pretty hot huh? i shrugged she's okay. just okay, huh? good to know! then i said i'll bet you $10 i can get her to kiss me before you. so the bet was on. little did my poor roommate know that she was destined to be my wife and not his. he owed me some money anyway so i figured i may as well get $10 bucks out of him.

as soon as choir practice was over he rushed up to the piano along with all the other guys it was just dave and his roomie...no one else came to the piano. and started flirting with her. *sigh* what an act of desperation. i, on the other hand, would impress her with my skills. i had been known as somewhat of a piano player (in napolean's voice: probably the best that i know of) Dave does have a good ear for music, but I found out later that he sat down and played the only song he knew. He doesn't read a note of music. once i saw her look at me and wade through all the other guys and sit next to me on the piano bench we made beautiful music together (I played some jazz/blues riffs and he did some improv on top of it) and the rest was history. except that he left the institute bldg without getting my number or anything. He happened to see me write my name and email address onto the teachers roster. He left to go home and actually made his roomate turn around and go back and he copied the info off the roster. He emailed me the next day and it was the day after that that we had our first date. (which he was late for...) the next night, i took her to see the christmas lights at a local amuzement park and 2 weeks later we were engaged (oh yeah she had to break things off with that other guy getting ready to go to the MTC which is why i had to wait 2 weeks before proposing) and then 5 weeks later we were happily sealed in the Seattle Temple. He was also late to this...lol.

the whole process was streamlined since she already had a wedding dress and all we had to do was basically cross the other guys name off the invitations and write in my own. I did have a dress partially made (it wasn't finished yet) but there were no invitations! lol.

------------------------------------------------

And now for your reading pleasure...the lyrics to a song that my husband wrote while he was attending BYU. He wrote it to make fun of the whole instant marriage phenomenon that sometimes occurs among Mormons...and then he practically lived it when he met me.

I was walking down the street and I saw the girl of my dreams.
When our eyes met it was love at first sight, so it seemed.
My tongue got all tied up, I didn't know what I should say
So I blurted out the words "will you marry me, today?"
What do you say?

She told me that she would 'cause she was in a good mood.
She didn't want to hurt my feelings by being rude.
I was so excited that she would be my wife!
We would be together eternally and for life!

Now that we're engaged, tell me, what's your name?
You told me once before, but to me they're all the same!
Is marriage eternal or just some kind of game?
The Bishop said we can save a lot of pain,
if we just get hitched and skip the waiting game.
Oh yeah...

7 comments:

Rachelle said...

Happy Anniversary. And I love the events your dh talks about. Our courtship was way too long, WAY TOO LONG! What a cute lil story.

Lei said...

cute, misty... thanks for sharing! and happy "a" day!

ShelahBooksIt said...

"one of the first questions i would always ask on a first date out at college was do you play the piano? and if the answer was "no" there was rarely a second date. so i instantly knew that she was second date material. it's not that i have anything against non-piano playing women, however, i just don't like them is all."

Is the above quote a joke? If not your husband is a hoot! Happy anniversary!

Misty said...

It's no joke, Shelah! He said that even the girls were figuring it out after a while cuz the non-piano playing ones never got second dates. lol.

Andrea said...

lol your dh is too funny!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

LOL!!! Happy Anniversary. I would love to hear my husbands version of us, he never gets a chance to tell it because he was attracted to the "Center of attention-story telling" side of me.

Lee said...

That is totally cute! I love your little input on reality! Thanks for sharing that!