Monday, January 30, 2006

I have a whole new empathy for Noah

We've all heard the story. Noah and his boys (and their respective wives) board a ship that we commonly refer to as the Ark. They loaded this huge boat up with every animal on the planet then climbed aboard and waited for rain. There they are, hanging out on a boat in the desert. I imagine everyone else thought they were pretty dang crazy.

Then the rain began.

40 days and 40 nights of rain. Noah and the boys waved goodbye to their friends (short ones first, I'm sure) and watched as everything sank out of sight. For a while they probably amused themselves with some games. Run sheepie run, cow tipping, maybe a little pin the tail on the donkey. They probably tried their hand at some deep sea fishing, but eventually they had to have gotten bored.

The incessant drip drop drip drop of rainfall can really begin to grate on your nerves. Getting soaked when you step out for fresh air is no picnic. You can't wear sandals, and the bottom of your pants (did they wear pants back then?) are always wet. You can forget about your new hairdo lasting long enough to impress the hubby (or misses in their case). Not to mention the depression that sets in from NEVER SEEING THE SUN. Ever.

How do I know this? Because I'm living it. It's been well over 40 days of rain now. I havn't seen the sun in ages. I hydroplane every time I get on the freeway. I fall asleep to the pitter patter of rain on the roof and the wind blowing it against the windows. Then I wake up to it. There's flooding, mudslides, avalanches, road closures and puddles. Oh, the puddles. You'd be amazed how quickly a 3 yr old can get to the middle of a puddle. Especially when she's wearing a dress, tights and clogs and we're on our way to church.

I feel for Noah, I really do. But I feel for his wife even more. Seriously, who do you think was mopping the deck, cooking the meals, drying the clothes and cleaning up after the animals? And all the while, she didn't even get a tan. And then, when the rain finally did stop, they had to wait for the water to recede before they could get off! At least around here if the sun ever comes out again everything will dry up fairly quickly.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I found you by hitting "next blog" and you are quite a good writer. I marvel at writers that make their blogs so interesting, and I get a little of the, "I want to write like that."
So I think I will visit you again and learn something about writing!!!
Enjoy your blogging, I have a feeling there are many who enjoy it too.
See you, Betty

Rachelle said...

I love this post! I love the idea of waving goodbye to the short friends first. And I hope the rain stops for you soon! May the sun come out and shine on you.

Misty said...

Thanks, Betty! Glad you stopped by!

And Rachelle, it's okay if the rain doesn't stop because I'm moving away from it next month! woo-hoo! lol

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

This was fun to read....short friends first...lol

ShelahBooksIt said...

That totally reminds me of when we lived in MN and the only time in the winter when the sun ever shone (and only then between the hours of 10-2) was when it was -10 or colder. Glad you're off to a sunnier clime!

Andrea said...

LOL send some rain here would you!

Lee said...

Aren't you glad you are moving? I can't imagine all that rain!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for your new city with no rain you are going to love it it was 45 degrees and sunny yesterday and supposed to be like that all week yeah for that.