Sunday, June 06, 2010

Diabetes - it's not always drama

My last diabetes post was pretty dramatic, and a lot of the time, it is. But sometimes...sometimes I just can't help but laugh. A lot. At Dave.

When I know he's in the safe but stupid zone, it's okay to laugh. This is when he or I noticed he was going low and got sugar into him before it got scary, but we still have to wait for him to come up out of the low, so he hangs out in the "drunk" zone for 20 minutes or so.

There was the time he squirted Pam all over the babies swing because it was squeaking.

There was the time he was in the car and the door was open, keys in the ignition, so it was beeping and when I went out he was repeatedly hitting the dashboard to try and turn off the alarm clock.

There was the time he went in to our friends house and hugged his friend and was all "I love you, man" (seriously...total cliche, I know)

There were times he would hold his food up to his face and closely inspect it before eating.

There was the time he was annoying me, so I just pushed him off the bed with my feet to snap him out of it.

The funniest was fairly recently. He had been watching Star Trek as he went low and he started trying to have a conversation with me. It didn't take long before I realized he wasn't all there and I actually started recording the conversation with my phone. The TV was on static or something similar at this point. It distracted him and he looked over at it and was all "it's not working." I told him it wasn't on and that wasn't good enough. We debated for a couple minutes on whether or not it was broken or off when he suddenly stares at the TV, points his finger at it and says "Increase magnification....four....EIGHT!" and then flopped back on the couch.

Hilarious.

1 comment:

Ashley Wendel said...

Misty - I love your blog. Your entries about diabetes are so real, and so filled with truth (humor and fear). My husband has type 1 as well, and I can relate at such a gut level to what you write! I love the "crazy eyes start at 60" ... no kidding! For me, it's all in the eyes with those lows - I often see it before he does. I also write a blog about being a spouse of someone with type 1 - I hope you read it: www.diabetesdelicatebalance.blogspot.com. I think we have a lot in common (I'm also a mom, with all the worry that comes with that)!

I'll be back to read more! Thanks so much for your honesty.

Ashley